Articles, Blogs, Whitepapers, Webinars, and Other Resources
How to Become a Security Engineer
We live in a world of digital. Here everyone holds the electronic components in hands. People are tangling in the web of digital technology day by day. Almost every month, a new technology comes with new operational vistas. All industries and companies are emerging themselves with digital technology. It makes the business faster and innovative in less time.
With high technology comes great responsibility. Hence the digital world brings challenges like security issues. With all those vulnerable information on-site, more opportunities for hackers to damage of sensitive data.
Due to these issues, this blog will provide potential information about security engineers. He will provide a solution for cybersecurity in this era of digital transformation.
Responsibilities of Security Engineer
Basically, a security engineer is someone who specializes in the engineering field of information security. Security Engineer mainly focuses on,
- He monitors and implements security measures to protect sensitive information, network, and computer systems.
- He also designs security architecture.
- Provide updated and current technology issues.
- Maintain all software and hardware intact with security.
- Conduct extensive research to analyze security solutions to remove threats from the organization.
- He builds a security system for your business or organization.
- Catch vulnerabilities in hardware and software.
- Secure IT infrastructure of an organization.
- Monitors very actively for any kind of harmful security threat
- Perform continuous security assessments for being assured
- Modify technical, legal, and operational areas that bring threat to IT security.
- Educate company employees about security threats (e.g., not sharing their passwords with other employees).
- Deliver technical reports with detailed documentation.
- Always configure and install a firewall and hacking detection security tools.
- Perform risk analysis
- Automation script development to avoid sudden security incidents.
Security engineer career flourishes in every size and type of company and industry. Some of the popular security jobs include,
- Penetration Tester/Ethical Hacker: He targets several attacks by using different techniques to find a flaw in security. It only aims to look after the security of a specific area.
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO): He is a C-level executive. He protects the information and data of the organization. He is an essential employee of an organization.
- Systems administrator: The one who installs, supports and maintains servers or other computer systems.
- Security administrator: He monitors and manages security from a single computer to an entire system. He keeps networks safe from internal or external security threats.
- Security Consultant: is a single employee or group of employees whom asses network, hardware, and software. They provide security solutions to internal and external employees. They develop security measures and solutions.
- Security Architect: He analyzes and maintains the security of all computers used by employees. They must be one step ahead of hackers. Implement tactics to forbid unauthorized users.
The requirement to become a security engineer
Security Engineer is someone who shields your company from cyber threats. It is the first to face of defense against hackers and harmful security threats. There are a few essential requirements to understand the deepness of this position. Some companies will only see your educated background, i.e. computer science bachelors or masters. Other employers also want some job experience along with it.
Indeed, along with your college/university degree and experience, one should also understand and implement
- New and unique everyday cybersecurity trends.
- Potential methodologies of security.
- TCP/IP stack
- Programming languages Python Net, C++, Java, bash, and power shell.
- Understanding of OSI (Open System Interconnection) model. Layer four of the OSI model is mainly responsible for communication services b/w networks and computers.
Job Requirements for Security Engineer
It mainly requires a bachelor degree from fields,
- Software Engineering
- Computer science
- Information system
- System engineering
- Cybersecurity and another related field
2. Working Experience
Working experience depends on the size of your company and the position they are looking for. Different companies have different requirements. Most employers require 1-10 years of experience. Whereas senior security engineers with 5-10 years.
- A security engineer must acquire solid analytical skills. They must continuous educate themselves so that they can assess any security threat and immediately suggest a solution.
- Security engineers must be detail-oriented, must have a keen eye to see minor changes and avoid any foreseeing future potential issues.
- Every new day comes up with new threats of security. Threats are always evolving. Security engineers should remain updated on any new threat. And must always have data-protection techniques ready.
- He must discover vulnerabilities in the information system
- He must be well aware of how to modify, create, and update the Intrusion Detection System (IDS).
- They must have strong communication skill. So that they can inform and alert people about security measures. They must communicate with employees in order to protect their data. That’s the reason security engineers must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Prevent hacker intrusion in computer systems
- Provide full documentation of security reports.
- Immediately to respond to security threats
- They must be forward thinkers because they have to be one step further than a hacker. This kind of creative thinking will forbid any harmful security threats.
- He must be skillful when it comes to the evaluation of and deconstruction of malware.
- Must be well educating himself about security regulations and standards.
- Must know how to input and maintain security frameworks in new and old computer systems of organizations.
- Attend cybersecurity Bootcamp.
- Experience of network and system administration
- Analyze and immediate respond to specialized cyber threats reports.
- Perform analysis of cyber and technical threats.
- A self-confident and self-motivated learner
- Poses a robust technical background in data loss prevention
- Good explainer and team leader qualities
- Remain updated on relevant technology news.
This certification will boost your career and help you get hired. It will help your credibility as a security engineer. Certifications will help you earn essential skills. It will help you look at weaknesses in IT systems, applications, and networks. It will let you capture real-life cyber threats, identify malware, and will help systems of the organization improve their security.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Licensed Penetration Tester (LPT)
- Cybersecurity Analyst (CySA+)
- EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (ECSA)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
Also, try to get your hands-on programming skills. No engineering job acquired without learning coding skills. Start to code and design your very own secure application. Take help from books, online courses, join a cybersecurity boot camp or grab a friend in it. This will help you learn faster.
Pick up smaller and famous use cases (calendar, etc.) and design a web application. Get help from libraries and boilerplate, and this will guide you with common anti-pattern and language-specific pitfalls. After making the application try to break it, find security flaws. You will find vulnerabilities by your mistakes.
After that, try to remake it, design it, avoiding those vulnerabilities. Fixing those issues will help you understanding cyber threats more deeply.
If someone wants to start his/her career for a security engineer. He must get a degree in the relevant computer field. Then he must possess some experience. A security engineer should also work on his communication skills. He should get a certification to improve his chances of starting his career as a security engineer. He should also learn code, make an application and also break into it and fix cyber issues of that application. He should also take help from online courses. He must be good in communication and stay up to date with any new security news.