Articles, Blogs, Whitepapers, Webinars, and Other Resources
How to Become A Cryptographer?
Imagine two women who share important secrets have to split up and go into different directions. Now they need to communicate private information from a distance. However, they both are scared of an eavesdropper who will try to steal that information because he can intercept their message.
This eavesdropper has access to both party communication; also, he can do more than stealing information; he can change the message or send another party the wrong message.
Here comes the main question of how can both parties ensure that the information is accurate and how can they make communication between them secure. Cryptography can help them by applying different techniques for securing communication and data in the presence of cybercriminals or eavesdroppers.
So first, we take that information from the first party and convert it into numeric forms, and then this numeric form is applied with a key called an encryption key, and this encryption key is to be used in encryption algorithm and result we get ciphertext. Now, this ciphertext is sent over the network to another party. Hence that party will use a decryption key and use ciphertext as a parameter of decryption algorithm, and then he’ll get original information.
Hence cryptography is essentially important because it allows both parties to securely protect information/data that they don’t want eavesdropper or anyone else to have access to.
Cryptography is used to secure super-sensitive information, business secrets and also to protect personal information to guard against things like identity theft.
Today’s blog is all about cryptography. Now cryptography is broadly classified into following categories namely,
Symmetric Key Cryptography and Asymmetric Key Cryptography
WHO IS CRYPTOGRPAHER?
A cryptographer is someone who tends to keep your information/data/messages and other sensitive data away from cybercriminals, hackers, or enemies of government by simply using a mathematical encryption method.
He is one who develops algorithms, security systems, and ciphers to encrypt sensitive data and help people by providing them privacy. The idea of Encryption came from military people, but in today’s era, encryption is all over the internet.
Cryptographer designs an algorithm for secret communication between two parties.
WHAT DOES CRYPTOGRAPHER DO?
Cryptographer helps two parties to build trust in between them and pass each other sensitive information. It keeps the Nose of hackers out of important data systems. Cryptographer does cryptography via specialized hardware devices and computer software.
Cryptographers are famous for providing technical support to the government, industry, and businesses to resolve crucial security problems. They protect sensitive information from theft, deletion, and an interception. Cryptographers also target weaknesses in current security systems and algorithms running. After detection of the weakness, they rapidly design a security system to prevent further cyber threats.
Responsibilities of a cryptographer include,
- Business related financial data protection and allow only to authorized account holders.
- Creation of non-breakable security systems that guard against cybercrimes.
- For analyzing data and resolving security problems, cryptographer develops and test mathematical models.
- Always testing new cryptography theories and applications.
- Testing models for thin line accuracy and reliability.
- Look for vulnerabilities in emails, wireless networks, security systems, cellphones, etc.
- Ensures under the premises of the organization that no information is being edited, copied, or deleted.
- He is a smart guy with knowledge of mathematics and statistics; cryptographer uses that knowledge in coding to resolve any security issues.
- Ensure time to time that wireless networks are not illegally altered or accessed.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENT OF CRYPTOGRAPHY
Cryptographer is a critical position for any organization, government, or business. So you must complete your research work not only for getting a job of cryptographer but also to handle hectic responsibilities for it. It is a career where one works for insurance agencies, FBI, government, universities and more.
At least one must have a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering. But that’s not necessary; some employers do accept non-technical degrees, but then one must have high skillset and experience as a cryptographer. One must take his education to a further level by doing masters and Ph.D. (doctorate), it will make your resume look heavy. Also, whoever wants to become a cryptographer; he must possess cybersecurity certifications.
It solely depends on what kind of work is required by the company. Some employers require five or more years with higher education from well-known universities. While others will accept three years or even less than that.
The position of cryptographer may require some experience or training in the field area.
NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY (NSA)
It is an intelligence agency at the national level of the United States Department of Defense. NSA is responsible for collecting, monitoring, processing of information, and data for domestic and foreign intelligence. It protects the government of the USA by providing extensive aid to military operations and armed forces. It is the bests place to apply for a cryptographer job.
They also run summer internship programs for people without technical degrees or undergraduates (of math and science degree).
If someone wants to pursue a cryptography career, then there are several career options in the field,
- Security Software Developer
- Cryptography Lecturer
- Professor of Cryptography
- Financial Consultant
- Cryptography Project Head
- Crypto Expert
- Security consultant
- Message Coder
- Encryption Experts
- Expertise in all major programming languages, i.e. JAVA, Python, C++, C, etc
- Extensive knowledge of mathematics (discrete mathematics, linear, and matrix algebra) and statistics.
- Outstanding command of three major fields,
- key exchange
- digital signatures
- Strong grip of algorithms and data structures.
- Good experience and command of a symmetric-key algorithm for cryptography including a good awareness of,
- Hash functions
- Symmetric encryption
- Message authentication.
- Clear concepts about,
- Number theory
- Complexity theory
- Information theory
- Good communicator
- Have great knowledge of the law
- Have great knowledge of the judgment
- Trustworthy & polite personality
- Sharp and active
- Accept new challenges
- Calm in hectic situations
SKILLS IMPORTANT FOR CRYPTOGRAPHER
Apart from education, there is some very crucial online training of cybersecurity certifications. That will guide you to become a good cryptographer. Popularly there are five famous online cryptography certifications,
- Cryptography Certification by Stanford University (Coursera)
- Introduction to Applied Cryptography by University of Colorado (Coursera)
- Cryptography Courses (Udemy)
- Cryptography Courses & Training (LinkedIn Learning)
- Quantum Cryptography University Courses (edX)
This blog explains how to become a cryptographer step by step. Cryptographer is someone who protects your businesses, organizations, and government from cybercrimes. He removes eavesdropper form your private communication.
There are two branches of cryptography,
- Symmetric Key Cryptography
- Asymmetric Key Cryptography
Whoever starts his career in cryptography, then they must obtain a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering. But some organization does accept non-technical degrees, but then one must have high skillset and experience as a cryptographer.
NSA is the bests place to apply for a cryptographer job. They also run summer internship programs for people without technical degrees or undergraduates (of math and science degree).
There are also several career options for cryptographers. One must also fulfill soft and hard skills before applying for a job in cryptography.